Billie Eilish and Lil Nas Top Apple Music's 2019 Most-Streamed Rankings
The platform also released 2019 insights for Shazam.
Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X, Post Malone, Ariana Grande and other genre-bending superstars are among the artists Apple Music users listened to most in 2019, according to the platform's breakdown of its most-streamed album, songs and artists globally this year.
Eilish's debut album, WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? was the top-streamed album, while her track "bad guy" was the fifth-most streamed song. Meanwhile, Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus)" crowned the list of most-streamed songs, followed by Post Malone & Swae Lee's "Sunflower" and two tracks by Grande: "thank u, next" and "7 rings."
While most of the tracks on the list were released this year, the ranking also indicates that Apple Music fans are still going hard for 2018 hits like Halsey's "Without Me" and Travis Scott's "SICKO MODE."
The platform also ranked artists by genre, with Eilish notably dominating the alternative category, not pop (which Grande reigned over). Also worth a double-take: Queen was named the top-streamed rock artist, likely aided by last year's Bohemian Rhapsody Freddie Mercury biopic.
Apple Music also released global 2019 data for Shazam, the music discovery app it acquired last September -- offering a window into not just what music streamers favor, but what new music they're seeking out. Eilish's "bad guy" topped the list of most-Shazamed songs this year, followed by Lewis Capaldi's sleeper hit ballad "Someone You Loved" and Tones And I's quirky, electro-infused "Dance Monkey." In fact, "Dance Monkey" is named the most-Shazamed song in a day, both for 2019 and all-time.
Shazam appears to differ in its genre rankings: Here, Eilish tops pop, Capaldi takes the alternative/rock category, and Lil Nas X takes country.
As for the most-Shazamed artist? That'd be Colombian heavy-hitter J Balvin, who climbed to the top thanks to hits like "Con Altura" with ROSALÍA and "China," a super-collab with Anuel AA, Daddy Yankee, Karol G and Ozuna.
Check out the full rankings for Apple Music and Shazam, below.
APPLE MUSIC'S GLOBAL TOP STREAMED ALBUM OF 2019
Billie Eilish - WHEN WE FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
APPLE MUSIC'S GLOBAL TOP 10 STREAMED SONGS OF 2019
1. Lil Nas X - "Old Town Road (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus)"
2. Post Malone & Swae Lee - "Sunflower"
3. Ariana Grande - "thank u, next"
4. Ariana Grande - "7 rings"
5. Billie Eilish - "bad guy"
6. Post Malone - "Wow."
7. Meek Mill - "Going Bad (featuring Drake)"
8. Halsey - "Without Me"
9. Gunna & Lil Baby - "Drip Too Hard"
10. Travis Scott - "SICKO MODE"
APPLE MUSIC'S 2019 TOP STREAMED ARTISTS BY GENRE
Alternative - Billie Eilish
Classical - Ludovico Einaudi
Country - Luke Combs
Hip-Hop - Drake
J-Pop Artists - aimyon
K-Pop Artists - BTS
Latin - Bad Bunny
Pop - Ariana Grande
R&B - Khalid
Rock - Queen
SHAZAM'S GLOBAL YEAR-END INSIGHTS
Top 10 Most-Shazamed Songs:
1. Billie Eilish - “bad guy”
2. Lewis Capaldi - “Someone You Loved”
3. Tones And I - “Dance Monkey”
4. Pedro Capó & Farruko - "Calma (Remix)”
5. Meduza Feat. Goodboys - “Piece Of Your Heart”
6. Daddy Yankee Feat. Snow - “Con Calma”
7. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - “Señorita”
8. Lil Nas X - “Old Town Road”
9. Ava Max - “Sweet But Psycho”
10. Calvin Harris & Rag’n’Bone Man - “Giant”
Most-Shazamed Artist: J Balvin
1. David Guetta & Bebe Rexha & J Balvin - “Say My Name”
2. Anuel AA & Daddy Yankee & Karol G Feat. Ozuna & J Balvin - “China"
3. Cardi B & Bad Bunny & J Balvin - “I Like It”
4. ROSALÍA & J Balvin Feat. El Guincho - “Con Altura”
5. Sean Paul & J Balvin - “Contra La Pared”
Most-Shazamed Song in a Day (2019 and all-time):
Tones And I - “Dance Monkey”
Most-Shazamed Songs by Genre:
Pop: Billie Eilish - “bad guy”
Alternative/Rock: Lewis Capaldi - “Someone You Loved”
Latin: Pedro Capó & Farruko - “Calma (Remix)”
Dance: Meduza Feat. Goodboys - “Piece Of Your Heart”
Country: Lil Nas X - “Old Town Road"
Hip-Hop: Post Malone - “Wow.”
R&B/Soul: Khalid & Disclosure - “Talk”
K-Pop: BTS Feat. Halsey - “Boy With Luv”